Portugal Golden Visa changes for 2022
This article is the ultimate source regarding Portugal Golden Visa changes in 2022. We keep you informed of all the latest updates and new rules concerning the Portugal Golden Visa to ensure you’ve got all the relevant information.
The Portuguese government has rolled out new regulations concerning the Portugal Golden Visa. Portugal’s new law restricts the ‘qualifying’ areas for real estate investment within Portugal, as well as making investment options more expensive. The changes took effect on 1 January 2022.
The Portuguese government has explained these changes as a necessity to evenly spread foreign investment to other parts of Portugal. With the real estate marketing is Algarve, Lisbon and Porto regions thriving, the government is now focused on developing the property market in Portugal’s interior areas.
Real estate changes
- Investors aren’t able to invest in residential property in popular urban areas such as Lisbon, Porto, and the Algarve, as well as coastal towns like Setubal and the Silver Coast.
- Applicants can only buy residential real estate in designated interior areas of Portugal worth at least €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a rehabilitation project. If the residential property is located in a designated ‘low-density’ area, then a 20% discount applies.
- Investors can purchase commercial real estate anywhere in the country worth at least €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a commercial rehabilitation project. If the commercial property is located in a designated ‘low-density’ area, then a 20% discount applies.
- Investors can buy residential and commercial real estate anywhere in Portugal’s autonomous islands of Madeira and Azores, worth at least €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a rehabilitation project.
Capital transfers changes
- Capital transfer amount requirement has increased from €1 million to €1,5 million.
- Investment Fund minimum subscription requirement has increased from €350,000 to €500,000
- Investment in scientific research has increased from €350,000 to €500,000
- Investment into an existing Portugal-registered business has increased from €350,000 to €500,000
- Arts donation of €250,000 stays the same.
It’s important to note the difference between interior areas and low-density areas. Check out the map below explaining the differences.
How can we help you?
Our experienced professionals are happy to assist you in acquiring the Portugal Golden Visa, we will continue to closely monitor Portugal Golden Visa changes as they unfold and keep you updated on the matter.
In the meantime, you can always stay updated about Portugal’s immigration latest updates by visiting the Portugal Immigration Agency’s website (SEF).
With a 100% success rate when it comes to Golden Visa applications, we can ensure that you find the right investment for your requirements.